WE HAAATESSSSSSSS IT FOREVEERRRRR

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Card Game Conundrum

Forgot to mention - the vast majority of the posts will be ideas. Since it's a lot easier to type things than make things, ya see.

It is much more difficult to create a card game (especially of the collectible variety) than one would think, if one would think it at all.

1. You need to be able to create a coherent, machine-like system that has all the right rules in place and all the main mechanics balanced out. Another problem is keeping the rules simple enough for normal humans to understand, but with enough depth to contain some level of strategy.

2. You have to imagine all the different types of cards, making sure they all have a proper place and aren't just design clutter, and all the balancing and mechanical rules therein.

3. If you REALLY want to do something of quality, you have to think of interesting game concepts that are in at least some way original and convey the setting or concept you came up with. You can come up with a slight variant to Magic any time, but that's sorta boring. In fact, I've found most 'combat-oriented' games without any sort of twist are pretty dull, so I try to do something a little meatier.

4. Once you start creating cards, you have to figure out the right balance of card types for the set. It gets even more complicated when you plan for expansions. Expansions pretty much require you to keep coming up with new ideas to keep the thing fresh, too.

5. The most important thing: balancing the cards themselves. You really have to pay attention to the mechanics and all the other cards you've made, making sure you avoid including overpowered bombs and unstoppable interactions. Hell, even the actual card game producers have trouble with this, especially when they are on a schedule.

So, that's what I constantly face when I try to design card games for fun.

The main difficulties I find? I'm constantly creating rules that are so stupidly complicated even I can't get the hang of them, I don't give myself enough material (or don't think hard enough) to come up with interesting new twists and ideas for the rules, or I just feel like I'm ripping off someone else (example being my most recent project, which feels to me like a blatant copy of Decipher's rather neat Lord of the Rings system, except not nearly as smooth). So, no matter how many times I tried to come up with a system, I'm never really satisfied with it. Maybe that'll change if I keep going, do more research, and get the hang of balancing and mechanics.

And if you're wondering why I make card games for fun, it's because I like designing things. Gets the brain juices a-flowin'. Also, fuck off.

No comments: